Coinbase is a leading cryptocurrency exchange that lets you buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrencies.
One way to get Ether is to create an account on Coinbase and deposit regular fiat currency (like dollars or euros) into your Coinbase account. Then, you'll be able to convert that fiat into Ether, which you can then transfer to your Ethereum wallet.
Create a Coinbase account
Visit Coinbase’s official guide on how to set up your account. Make sure Coinbase services are available in your country.
Deposit fiat into your Coinbase account
Once you’ve created your account, you’ll need to deposit some fiat to buy ETH.
Regardless of the currency, you are depositing, the steps go as follows:
- 2.On the left-hand column under Wallet Balance, select the Deposit option
- 3.In the Currency Type field, select the currency you want to deposit (i.e. USD, EUR, GBP)
- 4.Select the payment method tab, then select From, then select Add Account
- 5.You will be redirected to Coinbase.com to complete the payment method verification process
Now that you’ve deposited some USD, EUR, or GBP, you are ready to buy Ethereum. Follow Coinbase’s precise instructions on how to buy Ethereum here.
Transfer Ethereum from Coinbase to Metamask
- 1.Click on your Metamask wallet icon
- 2.Find Account 1
- 3.Click to copy your Ethereum address (which will look like this 0xc3DA51b01d9E87d79d644819924862dc7A303454)
- 1.Log into Coinbase.com and click on the Send/Receive button on the right-hand corner
- 1.Choose Send option on the left
- 2.In Pay with make sure to select Ethereum as your cryptocurrency
- 3.If you want to specify the amount in fiat, click on the fiat icon on the right (i.e. EUR). If you want to specify the amount in ETH, click on ETH.
- 4.In the To field, copy-paste your Metamask address.
- 5.Click Continue
- 6.You’ll be asked to confirm the transaction
- 7.Once the transaction is confirmed, when you open MetaMask you’ll now notice that you have received your Ethereum.