Periods are time intervals in Botto’s artistic production that are characterized by artistic tendencies, aesthetic styles, themes, manners in which the artist produces art, and more. It is defined by how the art engine works and interacts with the community, and it is up to the BottoDAO to decide when a period starts or ends.
Periods are numbered and they have an established duration of no more than 2 years, where the aesthetic of productive style can go through minor variations to enhance creativity and spur interest.
Periods can change for any number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- 1.The community decides on a change in aesthetic direction
- 2.The community believes the production process requires change
- 3.A change in voting behavior (i.e. multiple voting pools)
- 4.A significant change to any part of Botto’s algorithm (e.g. taste and generative models or voting mechanism) is requested
- 5.A new overarching theme has surfaced
Period 0, or the Genesis Period, started in October 2021 and ended October 14th, 2022 - putting a total of 52 artworks to auction. This period was defined by the original design of Botto’s art engine: an algorithm that produces ~4,000 weekly works with VQGAN + CLIP and selects 350 finalist fragments every week, in a very heterogeneous set of visual styles. The community then votes through an adversarial choice between pairs of fragments and the most voted fragment each week is minted as an artwork for auction. Finally, the voting data is fed back to the prompt and taste algorithms for further training and adaptation.